Stand Proud America

July 10th, 2008

Must be just that kind of week!

I received another comment yesterday and again I have decided to reply here as I think more people read the posts than the comments. OK OK… it is sort of another rant and probably should have been posted on July 4th, but here it is. It started out as a simply enough reply… then grew. However as my readers know, at times my self control fails me…which might be why I am not exactly thin!

Ohhh. Haters of the USA or those embarrassed to be an American will probably find this post not to their liking.

Below is a comment sent in yesterday and the stimulous for this reply. If my response might interest you… read on!

I don’t want to come off as a conspiracy theorist, but I do find it to be interesting that this is a problem for you now. My point, a lot of people are disenchanted, to say the least, regarding the current political, economic, etc… here in the US, and are hoping to relocate. Well maybe the powers that be prefer this not to be so easy to do. And therefore prefer not to have someone help make this possible, meaning you. You provide us with the much appreciated, and needed info. Seems as though with the recent CAFTA activity, that Costa Rica wanting to do trade with the US, is going to be pressured to do whatever Uncle Sam asks of them. Remember the disintegration of the middle class, means the corporate big wigs need all the slaves to stay here and consume in order for them to continue to make a profit. Now if we want to live elswhere, we are not here to keep them nice and fat. Ok, after previewing my post, I have to admit I do sound like a nut, or do I? (twilight zone music plays in background).

Yeah… a bit 🙂

But I think you are a little confused… at least about me and my status. My permanent residency renewal is not dictated by the US government and the renewal process seems to be going exactly as it should. I doubt there will be issues, but I thought I’d post my experiences so others could follow along to see how it goes. I expect it to go smoothly.

The USA has serious issues for sure, but to blame the current administration is just naive. The fault lies with every administration and congress for the past 20-30 years that exhibited not one modicum of leadership and a complete failure to deal with unpleasant problems like the current oil crisis, social security and numerous other issues.

The current Democratic congress does nothing… no leadership at all… preferring to blame the woes of the world on Bush.

Bush does nothing to demonstrate his leadership preferring to fall into stupid disagreements with congress about Iraq. The result is that nothing gets done on critical domestic issues. What people seem to forget is that either congress or the administration can take a leadership role and begin an initiative. Neither does and neither has for many, many years, preferring to pander to the George Soros’ of the world and to the other big campaign contributors and lobbyists. Want an example? In almost eight years neither Bush NOR congress has made even the slightest real attempt to ween the populace from being just plain pigs when it comes to using fossil fuels… nor did the administration before that nor the one before that… ad nauseum.

The US has about 4% of the world’s population yet uses 20% of the worlds oil. What is wrong with THAT picture?? Now we are at the mercy of high oil prices as China and other countries bid up the price of oil. Everyone blames big oil but they just don’t get it. Oil is a commodity… nothing more. Simple supply and demand. We now buy a ton of oil from the Saudis who then use their profits to fund terrorism and anti-American activities. Really intelligent! I like to think that every time you fill up, you are paying a nice little terrorist tax. We buy from the Saudis because we cannot seem to develop our own oil supplies or better yet, cut back on the use of oil completely. No leadership… again!

This current scenario was clearly visible decades ago, and MANY people warned that this would come to pass. EVERY administration and congress did NOTHING to keep us from being in this position… and they could have! We could have built refineries, encouraged or even forced the use of alternative fuels… Can’t be done? Pottywash! Take a look at Brazil if you want to see how it could have been done!

Now everyone bitches about the $4.00 per gallon gas prices. How silly. If you live in the Netherlands, you pay $12.00 per gallon. England? $11.00 last time I checked. Costa Rica? Over $6.00 probably starting this week! $4.00 fuel is nothing.

People have to leave the USA every day because they can no longer afford to live in their own country. My sister is in the process of moving here as she is in the same position. She gets a nice social security check and has savings, but is living hand to mouth… no room for anything unexpected and she is scared to death. Now she must leave her country.

She and many others will have no choice… but be aware it is not the rich and famous coming here. The ones with money might buy a vacation OR rental home here, but they have no intentions of moving. The ones that are moving here (not all of course) tend to be the less conspicuous consumers e.g. the middle class. I can promise you that a few tens of thousands of people planning to try ex-pat living and who are not at the top of the spending food chain, will not affect the economy of the USA one iota!

CAFTA is enormously complex and I am sure it will both help and hurt some Costa Ricans. Time will tell. In general, I think it will help more than hurt, and clearly the Costa Rica people agreed as it was they who voted YES to the TLC though admittedly not by a huge margin..

I would urge you not to fall into the trap of thinking that anything done by the USA is automatically bad. Those big (and sometimes small) businesses that everyone loves to hate is why the USA is by far and away the greatest country in the world. They were and are the engine. People forget, in the face of the all the recent anti-American press, just how wonderful IS the USA.

I believe the USA has serious issues and is broken. I believe we have wandered away from the basics that made us great. I also believe that it can be fixed, but not with the current lack of leadership in the congress and the white house. Nobody wants to rock the boat, and for sure, the boat needs some serious rocking.

The person who seems to be the forerunner in the US elections has 143 days of experience in the senate and it seems likely he will be soon be in the most important post in the world. To ME this is incredible! Talks nice though. He is, however, sadly lacking in experience and woefully ignorant of world affairs… but there you have it. The system continues.

We elect people simply not up for the job or simply not qualified. Many of those who could do the job want nothing to do with politics. Go figure! Obama will be surrounded/supported by a completely useless democratic congress that has already demonstrated that it is incapable of doing anything positive on behalf of the people they represent, and like all the congresses before, is totally lacking the leadership to make tough and unpopular decisions to save our country. They are far more interested in kowtowing to their monied supporters than in doing what is necessary to save our country.

The once honorable press distorts or fails to report the news unless it serves their own interest. They feed a never ending stream of untruths and encourage Americans to hate their own country. I mean can you IMAGINE actually working for The New York Times or CNN?? How embarrassing! How can they face their children at night?

I do not have a solution. I’d like to see people elected who care about the USA and will take strong and decisive action to lead and protect the USA. Ain’t gonna happen this election year I fear, and soon, I think the USA will soon become vulnerable once again to terrorism and attack as Obama tries cut the military and to placate an armed force whose only interest is the total destruction of the United States.

In summary, I love the USA and I am very proud if its accomplishments and forgiving of its failures.

Every once in a while I like to listen to a broadcast from back in 1973. Thirty five years have passed, but listening to and reading it still makes me want to just stand up and cheer. Thanks to our press and the naysayers, we can easily forget just how great is our country.

Thirty five years have passed, but the intelligent reader/listener will still see amazing similarities to our world today. Listen, read and think.

To read and listen to this broadcast and learn the background, click here … or you can just listen here to the The Americans

I listen to it a couple of time a year. Every time I do, it make me feel very proud to be American with all the good and bad that comes it.

For sure we are not perfect. We stumble and fall… but wow. What an honor to be called American.

Stand Proud America

19 Responses to “Stand Proud America”

1. Dark on July 11, 2008 10:58 am

Wow! I must say. Your comment is an epitome of someone enjoying the freedomn of speech nowhere in the world you can find but only in the United States of America. I surely hope for the many to come accross the real costa rica blog and be enlightened by the very truth of your statements about the current governance and politics in the US and the proliferation of “trash” journalism. I certainly hope that before anyone pull the “D” lever inside the voting booth in every polling place common sense within the individual prevails.

More power to you and this blog……

2. Lydia on July 17, 2008 4:48 pm

I’m quite surprised at my ability to incite such a response, and yes I am afraid you misunderstood both of my bogs. Question Re: CAFTA, and this one.
    I agree with some of your comments, and disagree with others. I do love my country, and it deeply saddens me to see how it is being sold off bit by bit, and by whom? Those who we believed to be our representatives looking out for our best interests, but instead have used their positions to line their own pockets. It’s very easy to label a person, and accuse them of being anti American. The fact is we have been deceived by the present administration, we continue to be, and yes the war in Iraq is about oil, and bottom line war equals profit for those invested in it. There is no assurance that if Obama is elected that he will be able to clean up this mess, but the alternative is more of the same. Our country needs to invest in it’s own citizens, and stop selling us out, we need to produce our own products, which in turn will provide us with jobs, we need to care about educating our children, and we need to care about providing health care for the populous. We need to produce alternative energy, not drill our coastlines. And of course what is the rebuttal, it’s going to raise taxes. We meaning the middle class are already taxed, how about we get something to show for it, and how about the greedy $@!tards pay their fair share instead of hiding behind their gated communities, and building more prisons, because of the fear the poor(and now the middle class) are going to steal from them. And maybe the tax evading soul suckers should be afraid; the very thing they fear is their very own creation. You can assume based on my email that I hate my country, and that would be a false assumption, I am not alone in my sentiment. I do not hate my country, I hate what we have allowed it to become, and you “Mr.don’t pull the D lever guy, if your a millionaire then I see where your coming from, and if your not you need to wake up, because the “Maverick” is not on your side.

3. cutigerash on July 22, 2008 8:35 am

I agree with most of what you have said above, but disagree with the part about your sister not being able to afford to live in her own country. This isn’t the fault of our country. The US is the land of opportunity, period. However, there is much opportunity to spend more than you earn and the majority of citizens are in a bad, bad habit of doing such. I’m not saying your sister is this way, but if money is cultivated and understood (as you seem to know very well), it can be multiplied. By anyone, who is willing to learn. This may be a little “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” in theory, but living beyond our means is the demise of most and our country promotes this to have a booming economy. Well, it has caught up and few are educating our citizens to be less indulgent. The US is an amazing place where you will never find poverty even close to that in most other countries around the globe.

People are outsourcing everything and now it seems that some are seeking ways to outsource their lives and move to places with lower cost of living, but that isn’t going to solve the problem. More money won’t solve the problem. Spending less and investing the rest, will.

Anyway, i love your site and all the info is great. Thanks for dedicating so much time to it.

4. Mike on July 24, 2008 5:30 pm

In response to Lydia!…..Clueless

If you have the time you must read (Collapse: Why societies Choose to fail or succeed) by Jared Diamond.

Read this and you will understand why you must pull the R lever!

5. Tim on July 29, 2008 9:19 am

cutigerash

Well as some wise soul once said, “Hindsight is 20-20”.

Of course you are 100% correct, but many older people always thought their social security would be enough (and at one time, it WAS!) and are now discovering that it is not. My sister has SS of somewhere around $1,300 per month, but the government deducts over $100.00 for something… Medicare? Medicaid? Dunno. Her rent is about $700.00 per month… really not bad I think. Medicines, co-pays and something she calls “donut holes??” takes another chunk. She does not HAVE to come here as she is doing ok… just has nothing extra to enjoy life and constantly concerned about money. Prescriptions are very costly as we all know and will not get better (unless the government forces the drug companies to cease research, a HUGE mistake).

In any case, planning for and allowing for “bad stuff” seems to have simply vanished from our culture. People in the US simply do not want to accept responsibility for their actions.

Examples?

People facing foreclosure prefer to blame the banks or government because they did not act responsible and buy homes within their means. Some gambled on the real estate bubble lasting forever. Some took variable rate mortgages to buy that bigger home, others took balloons… list goes on.

People complain about high gas prices preferring to blame “big oil”, Bush or anyone instead of accepting the fact that while we are only 4% of the world’s population, we use 25% of the world’s oil. Piggy. Our oil companies cannot even drill new wells in the USA because of environmental concerns. So now what? Can’t have it both ways! Oil is a commodity and now China is a player and buying HUGE amounts…

Anyway, there are a zillion examples… Always someone else’s fault, blame the other guy, the government… anyone but themselves.

As a famous eagle once said… “Get over it!”.

6. Jimmy on August 27, 2008 4:14 pm

The foolishness of this “blog” is incredible. I especially like how you indirectly call anyone who doesn’t buy into your craziness an idiot. I think maybe you should hang up the old blogger status until you learn a little more about what you are talking about.

7. Tim on August 28, 2008 7:15 am

I have a much better idea! Just don’t read it!

Simple huh?

8. Gerard on August 31, 2008 11:28 pm

Once Americans begin to understand the difference between a democratic republic and a fascist theocracy your country will be the better for that. Don’t bring that attitude to Costa Rica . . . .

9. bfriesen on September 14, 2008 9:07 pm

I agree with Gerard.

10. joe on September 28, 2008 10:31 pm

To :”Stand Proud America”
    I read your article carefully and I must admit the aftertaste is one of an unpleasant feeling,for it appears that your dedication to a nationalism is nothing short than being blind and deaf and ignorant at the same time,although on the surface few things sound to be reasonable…but being proud at any cost is rather disturbing.
    There is very little to be proud of in the light what consequences resulted from unjustyfied attack on Iraq hich resulted in more than 50 000 innocent Iraquees murdered from the utopistic delusionistic actions of “Americans”.How can anyone be proud of half a million innocent civillians murdered by your atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki,how can you condone actions of CIA in the latin Americas where thousands and thousands honest and innocent people were murdered under the guidence of your “American experts-the CIA”.Your past present and the future governments whether they had a meaningful leadership or not displayed remarcable lack of humanity dealing with such issues as nazism in Germany-financing the Hitlers efforts at the beginning of his drive for power and later doing the same with Stalin….(what hipocryts).
    …And even in recent time again siding and sponsoring first Sadam Husain suplying him with MDV-poisenous gasses as to use that against Kurds and then against Iran and quietly aplauding when thousands died from the effects and then to turn the coat when convenient and blame Husain for using it and deny any wrong doing.
    I could go on for hours with litany manifestations why I would rather believe that your pride is greatly misguided and that it serves preciselly those who have robbed you of your right to protest(Ken incident in 1960-1970 ? to say what you really think and are depriving you of your free will with such slogans as:”Who is not with us is against us-comunist manifesto of the USSR 1922,Hitler’s motto 1930-1945,-Bush 2002 !!!!
    The fact that there seem to be an absolute void of reason and visdom or logic excercised by people of the USA from the year 2000 when Bush was ellected by fraud and again four years later is a demonstration of not a lack of leadership in the goverment circles but toal political numbness of the disolusioned and stupified American people who each and every time condone hypocricy,lies ,swindle and opression as being things to be proud of…!?
    Lastly I gather that you either live or planning to live in Costa Rica,should you not be thinking rather in terms of how to become a contributor to Costarican society through assimilation rather than bringing your nazism to the new home? For I am certain that Costaricans are prety well familliar with the “GOODNESS “of the USA policies and if they reject any meddling in their internal affairs they probably know what could follow the generosity of the “Americans”.
    In conclusion I would like to direct your naive view of your nazism to the fact that every support you will promote “Americanism” is playing straight into the hands of the very hands of those of which you briefly mention at the beginning of your article.
    America is a corporate fashistic state that is beginning to resemble the beginning the totalitarian states of “Easter Block”=Comunism American Style”.The latest bail out of the Wall Street”financial institution is a confirmation of the process of change into a communist state has been innitiated and there is nothing that anyone can will or could do about it !!!!! One must certainly be wondering what is going on and why there is no one that stands up and objects to such blatant display of malliscesness for it is more than certain that the bail out is not going to make any difference in salvaging the institution – if there ever was a need to do so …an other way to bumboozel public(“There will be such a strife for freedom in the world to come that there will be no stone left unturned,and we will take you(america ) ower without firing a single bullet !!!-Nikita Sergyeyewich Chruschov in UN assembly 1962 !
    If you are trully concerned about your country then you go back and start an intelligent defence of the civil and huiman rights ,impeach Bush and the whole clique who caused this mess,outline and promote -work in the direction as to promote fair and just society where we all are equal before the law( and do not accept the fact that money can buy freedom and absolvation from crime,.Preach that truth is relevant and demonstrate to the world that americans can and are willing to be accountible for their deeds,punnish fellons and reward those who serve the people with good heart and honest fair intentions…and mainly stop electing CRIMINALS as heads of your state.America today is a laughing stock and the opinions about the americans is not very favourable to say the least in fact it is autright uncomplimentary !!!

11. Danuta R on October 2, 2008 7:58 am

Tim – Just wondering how your sister can afford to live in Costa Rica as well as USA based on the income you mentioned in previous posts? (Since she would have to maintain two housesholds (both USA and CR). Hasn’t the cost of living gone up greatly in both countries?

Really love your blog and hope some day to visit CR, but am a little worried about the crime situation. Being in the “fabulous 50’s age, I’m more cautious now than I was in my 20’s.

As for Joe- You are really an idiot! Who cares what you think of the USA? Like so many other foreigners, you are just jealous of America. That’s why we have such an illegal immigration problem, because people don’t think it’s the best place to live. I’m a naturalized citizen and while we have our share of problems, this is a great country. It’s the idiot liberals like yourself who have caused most of the problems. “Let’s give uncollaterized bank loans to people who can’t afford them.” I don’t see you spouting off against Robert Mugabe, Omar Al-Bashir, Kim Jong-il, Sayid Ali Khamenel. Bet you really admire these “leaders” and how they treat their people…

12. Tim on October 2, 2008 8:21 am

WOW Danuta!! Don’t hold back girl! 😉

I guess I was not clear about my sister. She will be moving here permanently in 2-3 weeks and will have no other household in the USA.

And yes, the cost of living has gone up here and in the USA. Greatly.

Still, there are values for those who take their time finding a permanent location to live and who shop intelligently for food and services.

Thank you for your comment on the site and blog.

Oh… and as for the crime… it has gotten blown WAY out of proportion. While on the increase, I would NEVER tell anyone it is so dangerous here as to cancel a vacation or move. You just have to use common sense… something that is sadly lacking in many people… generally a GOOD thing however, as they DO make the best targets! 🙂

13. KO on October 3, 2008 6:40 am

To Joe , the raging ignoramus:

Wow.
    I am an American and happen to share some emotional elements of your recently posted diatribe. Not all Americans are unapologetic, uncritical, flag-waving Yahoos. But nobody will take you seriously with such blatantly uneducated rants. Not to mention the atrocious spelling and grammar mistakes. You obviously have access to a computer; most come with spell-check and thesaurus. Use it. When you rant with such conviction, but cover WWII to Current events in one incoherent breath you sound exactly like those Americans whom you are opposed.

And, for your convenience:

Diatribe, Utopist, Delusional, civilians, Guidance, hypocrites, supplying
    Poisonous, applauding, (Kent State, not Ken), exercised

absolvation – what the hell does this mean?

Elected, government, stupefied, hypocrisy, oppression, familiar
    Fascistic, Communism, initiated, malicious, bamboozle, truly
    Defense, accountable, punish, felons, favorable

14. babooshka on October 21, 2008 9:54 am

Hey KO, how about, “like those Americans TO whom you are opposed…touche?

15. Jenny on November 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Tim,

Obama has been a US Senator since 2005, and he was a state senator for many years before that.

I think he will do much to restore our standing in world. He has promised to shut down Guantanamo, prevent the US from torturing people, and end the war in Iraq. Overall these will be very good things for the US, and I think most Tico/as would agree.

While the problems in the US are certainly not the fault of Bush alone, he has pushed us to (I hope) the extreme of what this country should not be. I lived in Costa Rica in 2003 when the war started, and I was very embarrassed to be an American. Costa Ricans are very polite, but I could tell what they really thought. I will never forget that feeling.

I have enjoyed your website, but this post makes me question your judgment a little.

16. ~ HG ~ on December 6, 2008 6:11 pm

I write from germany, from a city still occupied by us-troops. It’s time for them to better JUST LEAVE the country !!!

In fact most germans nowadays prefer to deal with russia. It’s simply natural to make business with ones neighbor and KGB-General Putin seems to me a lot more reliable than these goddamned US-NEOCON-assholes flooding the world with WAR and justifying their oil-greedy imperialism with “terrorism” !!

… yankees, guess what, the most “terroristic-acts” in the world are INSIDE-JOBS of the CIA !!! Evidence seems to show that even 9-11 was committed by the CIA !!

I thought of americans as brothers in mind. Because I was EDUCATED to do so. Remember of all these stupid lies about “common values” ! The US just don’t have any values at all !! But I learned to think by myself and I realized, that the US are the worst state on planet earth! Governed by some 200 rich families, never having enough money (squeezed out of the peoples of the world!) and give a shit about lives!

The US borrowed from the rest of the world since 1982 !! Consumed up to 10% more than they worked year by year, financed by Japan, China and Germany. This time is now definitly OVER. Read my lips americans: you better get used to WORK for your consumption again !!! But it has it’s advantages too: the times of epidemic obesity of americans are over :-))

The SUBBRAIN-Crisis (greatest money-fraud of all times), committed by Mr. Alan formerly known as “maestro” Greenspan and his Wallstreet-Banksters will soon end in the total GAME OVER of the BONDS,USD and the USA themselves !!! Civil war seems to be on it’s way in the USA – isn’t it, that there are a lot more GUNS in the USA than peope ? HAVE FUN !!!

And as always the case, the US-Spin-doctors will find a subject to withdraw the attention of their stupid american people from these obvious facts by starting an new war somewhere in the world !

Next US-War scheduled for the first half of 2009: PAKISTAN!

… remember my words, gringos !!!

And I realy suggest to all “americanos” abroad to return/flee to their homeland before the international anger of the peoples will explode …

17. FELIBRA385 on January 5, 2009 12:22 am

OK,
    SO, I’LL WORK WITH BOTH SIDES HERE. FIRST,I PERSONALLY AM NOT “PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN” BUT THAT DOESN’T MEAN I LOOK DOWN UPON SOMEONE WHO IS. LIFE IS ABOUT PERSONAL EXPIRIENCE AND THEREFORE PERSONAL OPINIONS. WHEN JOE MADE HIS RANT, I EXCEPTED HIS WORLD VIEWS AS A PERSONAL OPINION. AHA, PERSONAL. WHY DO I GET THE FEELING THAT MOST AMERICANS OR ANYONE WHO HAS THEIR CULTURE BAD MOUTHED THEY TAKE IT PERSONALY. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE NOT THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, AND I’VE NOTICED SINCE THE WHOLE “PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN” PROPAGANDA STARTED FLYING AROUND, THAT SOME PEOPLE TAKE PERSONAL OFFENSE TO STATEMENTS AIMED AT THE AUTHORITIES. TIM, I REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE(I’M A FIRST TIMER)AND THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WOULD CONSTRICT MY ARTERIES IN A HEARTBEAT.HEHE. I AM AN AMERICAN WHO WILL BE VISITING COSTA RICA IN A FEW WEEKS TO TASTE THE CULTURE. I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS AN AMAZING COUNTRY. HOWEVER I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE GOVERNMENT. THERE IS NO ESCAPING IT. OBIOUSLY THE BASIC OUTLINE IS FOR THE GOOD, BUT WHEN THE SYSTEM IS INFESTED WITH THOSE WHO ARE FOR THE PERSONAL GAIN AND PROFIT, THE EPITOME IS LOST. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MONETARY SYSTEM LIKE WE HAVE ALL OVER THE WORLD, WHERE THE BEST INTEREST IS THE WELLBIENG OF ITS PEOPLE. THE MAIN INTEREST IS PROFIT BECAUSE WITHOUT PROFIT THE MONETARY SYSTEM WOULD FAIL AND THERE WOULD BE IMMENSE CONSEQUENCES.

SO I GUESS WHEN I SAID I WAS NOT “PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN” I LIED. I AM NOT PROUD OF WHERE WE ARE TODAY AS A LIVING PLANET. I PERSONALLY DO NOT HAVE FAITH IN THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT BUT I DO HAVE FAITH THAT ONE DAY THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PLANET WILL BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PLANET.

ALSO KO, HELP US OUT. I DIDN’T FEEL LIKE SPELLCHECKING EITHER!!!

18. PatR on January 10, 2009 8:16 am

To Jenny, HG, Felibra:
    Jenny, Re BO he has only worked actively in the US Senate for approx 150 or so days as he since spent the remainder of his time campaning for Pres. There are some very bad people in Guantanimo and need to be put away where they can no longer be a threat. They should not be accorded the rights of our judicial system as they are enemy combatants. I was in the US Navy when the Costa Rican crisis manifested in the early 60s and requested US military help. You should really study up on what you believe to be true.
    HG: go back on your meds. You are filled with hate and that just isn’t healthy. How soon people forget WW1 and WW2. It was Germany that started them and the USA was again asked to save Europe. America has been the most productive country in the history of the world, even to this day. Our economy runs on oil as does the rest of the civilized nations. European countries are having their fair share of radical Muslim problems. This has absolutely nothing to do with the USA but because of past governmental expansions. As for the USA leaving Germany, I travel approx 8 weeks a year to various cities in Germany and never have faced the negative attitude you express. We are in Germany for the benefit of Germany and other European countries. I saw several towns where the US bases have closed and I must say that there are serious financial problems still occurring.
    Filibra: You are most incorrect when you state that the American people are not the American government! Unfortunately there are too many other misguided Americans who never grasped what America is. It is the people who elect the representatives to government positions and don’t hold them accountable to what they were elected to in the first place. It appears that we are in fact on the way to a socialist government in this great country but I can not fathom it being long term or successful. Our country was built on the premise of small goverment and peoples rights as expressed by the Constitution. It began to go down hill when big government started taxing the people and misusing our hard earned money. Then, redefining what the Constituion says. It’s very explicit on what limited power the Federal government had and how the states retained most of the power. That now has been turned upside down and an extrememly large welfare group was established to guarentee their dependency on this big government. Pretty soon we will be like Germany and other Europen countries with outrageous prices, substandard healthcare, and a weak national defense. Who then will come to the defense of our European friends when they next need us, and they will. Friends with Russia….give me a break. Do you really want a replay of a powerful Russia. How sadly uninformed you are.

19. FELIBRA385 on January 11, 2009 7:50 pm

PATR,
    THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE, AND IN FACT YOUR STATEMENT CAUSED ME TO RETHINK THINGS A LITTLE. MAYBE THE EPITOME OF WHAT MAKES ME QUESTION OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS NOT THE ELECTED OFFICIALS, BUT OUR CENTRAL BANKS. I MEAN, YES WE ELECT THESE PEOPLE, BUT WHO’S FOOTING THE BILL FOR THE LAVISH LIFESTYLE THAT CURTAILS? WHO DEPICTS OUR INTEREST RATES AND FUNDS OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT? THE CENTRAL BANKS.
    THIS DEBATE CAN GO FOREVER!!!
    BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE, PATR, I SEE YOUR VIEWS AS A PERSONAL OPINION. OPINIONS ARE NOT RIGHT OR WRONG, THEY ARE AS UNIQUE AS EACH OF US EXPRESSING OUR VIEWS.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS